07 dezembro 2017

Simpler version control for Oracle Application Express

I have been on and off working with Oracle Application Express for the last ten years, and think it is an extraordinary tool for easily building applications over the Oracle database.

Despite its many qualities, there some aspects where I find it frustrating.
For instance, it may be difficult to manage larger environments where several developers are making changes to the same APEX application. Not only does this means it is tricky to obtain stable versions, testing a newly developed feature in an application that also has unfinished changes is problematic.

I have come up with what I think is a reasonably good solution for this issues. The main idea is to shift development over to the developers' own workstations, and use Subversion to keep in sync and merge all the different APEX application versions.


My team has been using this approach for over a year now with excellent results.

Based on this experience, I wrote a short document on the whole approach, as I hope it will be useful for other teams. It can be found here.

Sem comentários: